Saturday, May 14, 2011

yella bye

so, as i write this, it's raining cats and dogs in amman (masha'allah!), and i'm hoping that i'll face better weather tomorrow when i fly to GREECE. most of my friends left this morning, meaning last night was spent crying in public, much to my embarrassment (friends, if you're reading this, i don't miss you AT ALL, especially you, Boeuf). thank god natsi is still here to console me, and we went on an excellent double-date today with dropek and jane.

i guess the most appropriate thing to do now is to make lists, my favorite hobby.

THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT JORDAN

1. the SIT tribe, i guess.
2. waking up at sunrise to the sound of the call to prayer/my host dad praying in the room next door.
3. reem shwarma.
4. the architecture, and the way all the buildings are white and turn pinky purple at sunset.
5. "welcome to jordan!"
6. my host mom.
7. generally not ever knowing what's going on, but being ok with that slash always being out of my element.
8. feeling like i actually sort of understand arabic, which i'm sure will disappear as soon as i don't have to rely on it anymore.
9. the amazing natural beauty.

THINGS I WILL DEFINITELY NOT MISS ABOUT JORDAN

1. bread
2. bread
3. bread
4. the harrassment ("hey! shakira! shakira!")
5. having to think/stress so much about being culturally appropriate.
6. generally not ever knowing what's going on.
7. feeling like i really don't know any arabic.
8. the fact that it's not california.
9. the lack of greenery.

THINGS I AM EXCITED FOR ABOUT AMERICA

1. preparing my own food (that's not bread).
2. generally feeling in control of my own life.
3. being able to go for walks, runs OUTSIDE.
4. california.
5. greenery.
6. my house/bed/family/dog.
7. everything.

OK, i think i'll have more insightful reflections later, but for now i'm stoked to leave tomorrow for a romp around europe with juliet.

maasalema, al urdun. it's been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment